This project is the result of a dream about the legacy left by individuals who, as a result of terminal illness, choose to live their lives fully aware of their mortality. They are individuals who have all the medical support and information they need but would like to expand their thoughtful, heartful, and spiritual awareness of their own living and dying. The intension of the ONE HUNDRED SOULS Project is to awaken possibilities in the face of mortality, to change fear into awe, and to add meaning and a sense of adventure to the sorrow and loss in death.
Participants will be taught in small, ongoing workshops specific techniques and applied practices that will result in:
- Increased perceptions of the material and non-material worlds around them.
- Direct experience in transcendent practices that help to lessen fear of the unknown and begin to build or expand existing individual relationship with Mystery.
- Night and day dreaming becoming more useful
These teachings will result in each participant learning:
- Sacred sight—using peripheral vision and unfocused attention to witness the non-material and energetic world which expands consciousness
- Sonic meditation—to process expanded consciousness and to practice transcendent and out-of-body events
- Window meditation that hints at the transition of the soul.
- Dream practices that result in direct answers and inspiration around personal topics
- How to create a personal portal as a tool used during active dying
- How to create a document containing the reflections and photographs of friends and family that exemplifies the life one has lived.
- A writing process of their experience of mortality to produce a single page entry into an anthology of ONE HUNDRED SOULS as a legacy to the living of what is possible when facing our mortality.
The public will receive a legacy that hast the capacity to change our cultural expectations of death by:
- A published book consisting of a photograph and written entry by each of the 100 participants. Each participant will have a single page to distill the written thoughts about their individual experience in living and dying. Introductory chapters will be written by the originator and facilitators of the ONE HUNDRED SOULS Project.
- A public art installation consisting of 100 hanging and illuminated glass vessels and a computerized control panel. The control panel will allow the 100 hanging vessels to be randomly illuminated to represent souls actively returning to the earth much as rain falls to earth. Additionally, the control panel’s touch screen will allow public visitors to touch the name of each participant to display their page of the published book.
- A website that would encompass the written book and the public installation as well as information on the project and how it might be brought into other communities.